Vamos Theatres’ Mask Performing Residency Workshop
Vamos Theatre’s Mask Performing Residency offers the chance of an immersive learning experience for school, college and university students. Participants are introduced to the techniques of full mask theatre, learning about focus, character, movement and stillness.
Students are guided in how to devise work, creating a series of scenes that will become a short theatre performance at the end of the residency. All participants are involved in the creative devising process and the final showing. Residencies can explore a specific theme, and a special feature is the chance to work with a professional theatre musician, who provides a live musical accompaniment.
The residency will:
• give students a solid grounding in full mask performance and an understanding of it as a genre
• develop students’ detailed knowledge of specific performance elements such as movement, gesture and pace, and how these practically help in creating character and communicating intention
• give students practical devising skills, building confidence in the devising process, and encourage them to think creatively and clearly
• teach students important mask techniques such as internal monologue, clocking, punctuated movement and stillness
• encourage students to consider, and be able to critique, the importance of the performer/audience relationship
• encourage teamwork and group trust
• teach the importance of music and sound in mask performance
• encourage shy or under confident students to shine within the protection of a mask
Here to help.
I’m here to help you every step of the way.