The Golden Hinde’s Blood, Bones & Bile: The Art of the Barber Surgeon KS2 Workshop
Take part in a guided exploration of The Golden Hinde and experience life at sea in the 16th century, then get hands-on with the equipment of the ship’s Barber Surgeon to investigate maritime medical practices.
The Golden Hinde’s costumed educators bring history to life with replica handling sessions and role-play as pupils are immersed in the unique environment of our amazing galleon.
Students will also be provided with their pre and post-visit resources, designed to encourage them to respond critically and creatively to get the most out of their visit.
- To find out about the history of Francis Drake and his 1577-80 circumnavigation of the world.
- To understand how and why medicine was practised in the 16th century through an examination of replica equipment.
- To understand day-to-day life on an Elizabethan ship and how it differs from their own experiences.
- To develop skills of comparison, enquiry and communication.
- To develop creative writing and drawing skills.
Here to help.
I’m here to help you every step of the way.