The Golden Hinde’s Virtual Voyage (KS2)
Join The Golden Hinde for a Virtual Voyage and discover the story of Francis Drake’s circumnavigation.
Using multimedia and live activities, The Golden Hinde’s highly interactive workshop brings The Golden Hinde to life in your classroom, allowing students to explore the histories surrounding its voyage alongside the lived experience of Elizabethan seafarers. Their educators will help your class deepen their historical knowledge and understanding, encouraging them to respond critically and creatively.
The KS2 Virtual Voyage is split into three parts:
- Pre-session activity: Explore ‘The Voyage of the Golden Hinde Interactive Map’ with the option to create a storyboard of the voyage.
- Virtual Classroom: Join two Golden Hinde educators on Zoom for a 1hr interactive workshop which looks at life on board an Elizabethan ship.
- Post-session activity: Use the ‘Life onboard an Elizabethan Ship’ worksheet to consolidate your students’ learning with a creative writing project.
All resources are provided by The Golden Hinde in advance of the online session to be used at home or in the classroom.
- To investigate the history of Francis Drake and his 1577-80 circumnavigation of the world.
- To explore day-to-day life on an Elizabethan ship and think about how it differs from their own experiences.
- To understand how to use visual and textual evidence to help them think about the past.
- To understand how to use historical information to inspire creative writing
Links to the National Curriculum KS2:
- History (explorers, pirates, Tudors, Elizabethans, empire)
- English (creative writing)
Here to help.
I’m here to help you every step of the way.